June 25, 2003

See you There

by Andrew Stern · , 2:30 am

Second Life, “a rapidly growing and constantly changing 3D online society, shaped entirely by its residents”, officially started on Monday. Read the press release here. Free 5 day memberships are available; beyond that, it’s $15 / month.

I’ve yet to experience Second Life, but from what I’ve read, I’m pretty excited by this online world. For my taste, I’m much more interested in “real life” style online worlds, such as Second Life or There.com, versus fantasy online worlds such as Everquest. (Although, the screenshots of Second Life and There do seem a bit like “J.Crew” world to me. And, I have to admit, Star Wars Galaxies, which launches tomorrow, has some strong appeal. Hard to beat that brand I guess.)

I’m still not sure that online worlds like SecondLife and There, without strong computer-generated characters / narrative, will be able to sustain my interest. i.e., can the shenanigans of human players alone keep me entertained, or would it require the integration of some sort of interactive drama technology to keep me a paying subscriber?