December 23, 2003

Dean Gaming

by Andrew Stern · , 3:03 pm

This just in — Ian Bogost and Gonzalo Frasca have just released a new political game commissioned by the Howard Dean for America presidential campaign!

In “The Howard Dean for Iowa Game“, you try your best to help Dean win the Iowa Caucus. You run around trying to get as many people as possible to notice your “Howard Dean” sign, and to knock as many doors as you can. I especially enjoyed trying to hand out as many leaflets as I could to harried passers-by. Made me feel for the people who try to do this out in the cold in real life.

Political videogaming has now reached official status. This is an important moment in the world of political games and game rhetoric, since never before has a candidate, let alone a US Presidential candidate, embraced games as a viable communication medium.

It will be interesting to see what kind of reaction this generates among Dean supporters, and in the media…

Great job Ian, Gonzalo and the Persuasive Games team for pulling this feat off in a very short amount of time!

Also be sure to check out Gonzalo’s newsgaming.com’s first political game, “Sept 12“, and some of the discussion it generated. And, on a very related note, in case you missed it, check out my recent post about “AI Bush”, which from what I can tell was not commissioned by the Bush for President campaign. :-)