June 30, 2004

Opinions Coming, Says the NY Times

by Andrew Stern · , 8:46 pm

Glancing at the home page of the NYTimes, I spied a new article about election-year political videogames — featuring Ian Bogost and his till-now-under-wraps, about-to-be-released game, Opinions! The article reports that Ian, who as GTxA readers know was co-developer of the Howard Dean campaign game, was hired two months ago by the Democratic National Convention to create a game “for the Democratic convention committee. … In Opinions, the player performs an action in each of six minigames simultaneously, seeking to achieve a balance among them. Actions in the minigames, each corresponding to a domestic or international policy topic, affect the ease of playing in the other minigames.” Sounds cool!

The article is by Michael Erard, who has written several articles recently about games and game research.

Once again (I can’t keep track anymore!), congrats to Ian on the new game and its publicity, and to Gonzalo too, who gets a quote. The two are pictured in the article lovingly teleconferencing each other. ;-)

5 Responses to “Opinions Coming, Says the NY Times”

1. Ian Bogost Says:

Yeah, don’t I look like death in that picture? Ugh!

The game should be launched tomorrow…

2. andrew Says:

don’t I look like death in that picture?

Not really, but I’d look like death if I were graduating from my PhD program, moving my family to across the country to start a new faculty job, and finishing a new game for the DNC all at the same time…

3. Ian Bogost Says:

LMAO. The funny thing about that picture is that it was taken in my new house, and none of my stuff is here yet. I’m sitting on two paint cans.

Of course, I do have broadband working.

4. Michael Says:

Ian and I were supposed to go out to dinner last night to celebrate his game release (we only live about a mile away from each other now in Decatur). But there were some last minute delays in the release. Ah well, I’m sure we’ll celebrate shortly…

5. Ian Bogost Says:

Thanks again for the support guys. The game should be up early next week. I’ll be sure to send out a notice.