August 10, 2004

Dance Voldo Dance

by Michael Mateas · , 11:24 am

In Dance Voldo Dance, my favorite Soul Caliber character, Voldo, dances to Nelly’s Hot in Heer. Since word of this video has already been circulating around the blogosphere for a couple of weeks, I’ve been resisting posting about it here. But I enjoyed the video so much that I decided a “me too” post was fine. All moves in this video are in-game; no programming or game hacking is involved. While there’s alot of Machinima being produced these days, most of it is narrative; I enjoyed the pure dance performance of this piece of Machinima, a performance enabled by Voldo’s freaky double-jointed moves and enhanced by his S&M attire. While Dance Voldo Dance was carefully choreographed, I can imagine a new fighting game performance form in which two or more players improvise to music in real-time, perhaps done as a competition with the audience serving as judges.

2 Responses to “Dance Voldo Dance”

Excellent. There seem to be at least two different edits of this video out there: here’s another, downloadable.

2. Michael Says:

I prefer the purity of the first version; it’s all gameplay. The second version cuts in too many non-interactive cinematics for my taste.