August 24, 2004

Welcome Mary Flanagan

by Noah Wardrip-Fruin · , 3:41 pm

We’re scooting over to make room for a visiting driver, Mary Flanagan. Mary’s work ranges from games research to media projects to being a professor in NYC — you can read more in her GTxA bio (rollover her name above) or at her site. And check out the pages of Mary’s tiltfactor lab (with which — full disclosure — I’m affiliated). We’re looking forward to having Mary’s energetic, thoughtful, and thought-provoking voice added to the GTxA mix!

2 Responses to “Welcome Mary Flanagan”

Welcome, Mary! I’m looking forward to hearing about Rapunsel, your recent art, and your perspective on whatever new things textual and gamey will be showing up online in the next few months.

Hi Mary, it’s great you’ve decided to squeeze into these ripped-up bench seats with us, undoubtedly you’ll be steering the discussion in some interesting new directions. Among your various projects, as Nick mentioned, Rapunsel is definitely something I’d love to hear more about. It’s come up several times in discussions here over the past year (1 2 3 4 5), and I’ve been trying to follow it ever since I first heard Ken gave a passionate appeal for procedural literacy at the 2003 GDC academic summit. It seems like a very challenging project in many ways, from gameplay design to interface to technical implementation. To my mind it’s one of the coolest and important projects out there. To the extent you can talk about it, I’m very curious about what’s working so far, what’s not working, what are the open design questions. If by chance there’s an early version available for us to play with, so we could give you feedback and inform the discussion, that’d be even better.