August 29, 2004

It Hits the Gamespot

Michael is interviewed pretty extensively in a long Gamespot article on academics and computer games. The illustrated piece, unfortunately broken up into 18 ad-revenue-generating pages, is built around discussions with Michael as well as Janet Murray, Gonzalo Frasca, Christopher Lowood, and Paul D. Miller. Andrew’s mentioned in discussion of Façade; Grand Text Auto gets a special plug. Plenty of topics are taken on in the piece, from newsgaming to Army gaming to machinima to Janey Murray’s fated and fateful encounter with Mad Dog McCree.

Thanks to Ian for pointing the way to this bonanza.

New to Grand Text Auto? Check out our new comprehensive index of all our posts from the past year. Here you’ll find many links to short essays, debates and rants about games, interactive story, art and science, the net, conferences…

4 Responses to “It Hits the Gamespot”

1. Michael Says:

Ahh, I’m glad to see that the article is up. I was going to post about it (I just got the email from the author saying the article is up), but you have to get up pretty early in the morning (something I don’t do on Sundays) to beat the hungry posting hordes at GTxA.

Sweet! It’s amazingly long. I’ll comment more after I fully read it.

One amusing, harmless thing I noticed: perhaps in the flurry of being interviewed, “Game Developers Conference” and “Independent Games Festival” seems to have gotten conflated into “Independent Game Developers Confererence” — which the writer then later refers to with the invented acronym IGDC. :-)

3. Ian Bogost Says:

Maybe it’s a sign. We could use an IGDC. I’ll volunteer my back yard; we can do it Chris Crawford style (once the mosquitos let up).

It’s always great to get press, but it’s especially satisfying when the “mainstream” game press picks up on academic game research.

A discussion of the article has begun on gamegirladvance.