September 24, 2004

SIGGRAPH 2005: Back in the game?

by Noah Wardrip-Fruin · , 5:02 pm

I just got off the phone with Linda Lauro-Lazin, Chair of the SIGGRAPH 2005 Art Gallery. We had a very interesting conversation.

As many GTxA readers are aware, 2002 saw a number of disastrous decisions for SIGGRAPH. During the planning for SIGGRAPH 2003 the panels program was killed and interactive art was deleted from the art gallery. Most of the rest of my top reasons for attending SIGGRAPH (art and culture papers, artist talks, etc) disappeared.

Apparently, that’s all changing for 2005. Linda wants to bring back interactive art in a big way. And she’s recruiting committee members and jurors who are interested in experimental narrative forms, game art, and other work of interest to GTxA folks.

Meanwhile, panels are back as well, and so are art papers, and overall one gets the impression of SIGGRAPH making an effort to recover its identity as a deeply interdisciplinary gathering for those interested in the science, art, and culture of “computer graphics and interactive techniques.” I think I’m ready to take the risk — to submit work, and head back to SIGGRAPH, after two years of not bothering.

If you’re thinking similarly, check out the deadlines (things are not all as they were!). The panels program is the most changed from what I remember. Topics must be submitted by 3 November 2004, and then position papers (for accepted panels) will be due 1 March 2005.

One Response to “SIGGRAPH 2005: Back in the game?”

1. nathaniel and the non-aggressive Says:
    SIGGRAPH 2005: Back in the game?
    Noah Wardrip-Fruin (of Regime Change, which I just reviewed, and will be on Net.Art News soon) has some interesting things to say: Grand Text Auto ยป SIGGRAPH 2005: Back in the game?

SIGGRAPH used to be one of the lone outlets for people to exhibit …