January 23, 2005

Phrontisterion VI

by Andrew Stern · , 2:14 am

For the second year in a row, June appears to be an excellent month for conferences. In addition to AIIDE and DiGRA, add Chris Crawford‘s annual to your list. And this June they all share some common geography — the North American west coast, where I just moved to, coincidentally, so I hope make it to all three. :-)

Here is the CFP (Call For Phronts?), and registration information.

Phrontisterion VI, the sixth conference on interactive storytelling, will be held at my place in southern Oregon on Saturday and Sunday, June 25/26. As always, the theme of this year’s conference is interactive storytelling and the topics are open to nominations from the attendees. After five years, we are starting to see some interesting work appearing, and it is my expectation that some of people behind this work will come to show us their stuff.

In order to maintain the most intense level of discussion, attendance at the conference is limited to 30 people. Seats at the conference will be assigned based on the degree of contribution that a person can make to the discussion. Persons offering to present their own work in interactive storytelling will be given highest priority. I prize intellectual diversity at this conference; I aim for a good balance of games people, screenwriters, academics, novelists, multimedia people, students, and businesspeople. I attempt to balance visionaries with realists, techies with artsies, theoreticians with programmers, dogs with cats, and entrepreneurs with idealists.

The essence of Phrontisterion is the group discussion held in a circle of chairs under the fir trees. The fresh mountain air and idyllic setting provide an effective physic against blather. I moderate the discussion, and have learned a variety of techniques for keeping the discussion intense and fast-moving. Especially productive are the attempts to draw conclusions at the end of the second day; these efforts highlight the differences in opinion and force participants to nail down those differences with precision.

For a better idea of how Phrontisterion works, have a gander at:

http://www.erasmatazz.com/library/Miscellania/Phront5/Phrontisterion5.html

a report on last year’s Phrontisterion. Be sure to examine some of the included reports of the attendees.

If you are interested in attending, please reply with a statement of the topics that most interest you, and any work that you would be able to present to the attendees. If you are unsure of your ability to attend, please do not hesitate to respond anyway but note that possibility.

RSVP by April 1; I will send out more detailed information shortly thereafter. And if you have any questions or suggestions that you’d like to discuss, by all means write me! One of the reasons I keep Phrontisterion small is that it preserves my flexibility.

Chris Crawford