February 4, 2005

Edible Ink-Jet Printing

by Scott Rettberg · , 11:43 am

Today’s Times has an interesting article, “When the Sous Chef is an Ink Jet” about Homaro Cantu, a chef in Chicago who serves edible photos and sushi prepared on an inkjet printer. The restaurant serves edible menus. Cantu is also looking into levitating foods and innovative ways to utilize class IV lasers in food preparation. Of course this makes me think of what type of edible story I might like to tell, a novel that you could really sink your teeth into.

3 Responses to “Edible Ink-Jet Printing”

It’s funny, last night before dinner I was walking around at Portland’s monthly gallery walk, and wandered into a paper store where they make their own paper and have their own 80-year old “antique” letter press machines, to make very pretty wedding invitations and cards. We watched a woman whose entire process involved taking old paper, bleaching out the color, soaking it to get the cotton out of it, pressing it into sheets for new paper of her own, adding bits of flowers to it, further pressing and drying it into usuable paper.

I was hungry at the time — the gallery walk was so crowded, all the brie had been already eaten — but it never occurred to me that the papermaker woman could have used, say, potato starch instead of cotton, and thrown in a few edible flower petals or berries, and used octopus ink or something… mmm…

Then again, my wife often uses cut up sheets of seaweed on her 2D canvases…

It’d be great to go a restaurant where you have to read your meal before you eat it.

Why eat your book when you can smoke it?

3. kari Says:

On eating books: there’s a long tradition of this, which I’ve blogged about.

On Bakhtin smoking his manuscript: reminds me of a passage in Quentin Bell’s biography of Virginia Woolf where he recounts how she and Leonard would supply guests on their way into the lavatory with manuscript and galley pages from Virginia’s novels; if memory serves, Bell makes it pretty clear the pages weren’t for reading . . .