March 5, 2005

Project Research and Software Toys

by Scott Rettberg · , 11:46 am

Exocog: A case study of a new genre in story
A research report by Jim Miller describing the process of writing and distributing a story on the Internet not as narrative text, but as a set of Web sites whose content evolved over five weeks.

Situationist International Online
I’ve spent some good hours here recently. The situationists were anticopyright from the beginning, which has made this quite extensive archive of texts from the situationist movement which reached its height in the 1960s possible, including a complete archive of Internationale Situationniste and Guy Debord’s Society of the Spectacle.

Building a Mobile, Locative Collaborative Application
Documentation of the development of CatchBob, a treasure-hunt type, Wi-Fi based locative and collaborative mobile game. The game itself is fairly simple in concept:

The aim of the game for the participants is to find a virtual object on our campus and enclosing it in a triangle formed by their position. The positions are provided by a location-based tool running on a PocketPC or a TabletPC. This tool allows each person to see the location of his or her partners as an avatar on the campus map. Another meaningful piece of information given by this tool is whether the user is close or far from the object: an individual proximity sensor.

Lumiere Ghosting in the New Media Classroom
David Gillette describes a new media curriculum built around Lev Manovich’s The Language of New Media, and its focus on new media development as a form of interactive, multicultural cinema, and using a Cave-like display, the CompuObscura, an interactive new media art work that allows viewers to interact with images on display inside the device.

Jim Bugardner
the guy who invented the Palace avatar based chat system in the 1990s, has lots of generative art, doodads and neat little software toys at this site.

iStory Creator
an application made to allow people the opportunity to create their own iPod text games of the choose your-own-adventure variety.

5 Responses to “Project Research and Software Toys”

1. mw Says:

nice work, i have added a link to your at my sites

2. networked_performance Says:
    Project Research and Software Toys
    Miscellaneous Situationist International Online I’ve spent some good hours here recently. The situationists were anticopyright from the beginning, which has made this quite extensive archive of texts from the situationist movement which reached its hei…

3. Snow Says:

Reblogged: http://www.turbulence.org/blog/archives/000695.html

4. Jane McG Says:

Worth pointing out that exocog is an alternate reality game (see also http://www.argn.com) — like the Beast and the more recent I Love Bees. I’m really glad to see the genre on Grand Text Auto. I was surprised I Love Bees never popped up while it was going on last fall, as it was a highly distributed highly interactive digital storytelilng experiment that changed major plot points in response to player actions and incorporated player narratives and personalities and adopted personas into the official overarcing story…. perhaps the most massively collaborative interactive narrative to date. Worth checking out!

5. noah Says:

Jane, you’re certainly right. I kept meaning to post about I Love Bees (I was reading about it elsewhere, discussing it with my students, etc) but I was thinking I would get more involved, and then post about my involvement. But the time got away from me (bad semester, last Fall). When will your “SuperGaming” paper go up online? That’d be a good reason posting here, even if a bit late…