July 7, 2005

new doctor escapes danger

by Mary Flanagan · , 9:27 am

greetings from London in the middle of all this. London is completely locked down!
I have been here completing my PhD thesis work entitled ‘Playculture’. The work is the first attempt to create a feminist game design methodology through the triad of art practice, critical theory, and activism/intervention.
My viva voce at the SMARTlab on Tuesday 5th July was successful, with esteemed examiners from the US, UK, and Germany! (This is the ‘dissertation defence’ in the British system.) While here have also participated in a Furtherfield / ID Runners workshop on areas of work where art, cultural production, technology, personal development and social action all overlap, and a panel at the ICA (separate post forthcoming). . . lots of excitement!

3 Responses to “new doctor escapes danger”

Mary, congratulations! And also, something that’s not a minor matter – I’m very glad you’re safe. I hope to hear lots more about Playculture, when you have time.

That’s wonderful! Congrats Dr. Flanagan. July 5 has been a memorable day for GTxA.

(Oh, without clicking on your link or reading the news this morning (yes I read the blog before the newspaper), I had assumed your link to “danger in London” was an article about the Olympics celebrations. Now I see the real headline about the London bombings. How awful! Yes, we’re glad you’re safe…)