August 9, 2005

Your Booty Now Contains the Lamp

by Nick Montfort · , 2:24 am

The page for Get Lamp: The Text Adventure Documentary, by BBS Documentary creator and cantankerous Grand Text Auto commenter Jason Scott of textfiles.com, is now live. Production is planned for 2006.

(Since my title for this post is ten times more obscure than my usual obscure jokes, I’ll mention that the text adventure Mystery Mansion, originally programmed in the 1970s for the HP-1000, would tell you that you had successfully taken some item by saying “YOUR BOOTY NOW CONTAINS THE [ITEM],” as you can see depicted in lovely computer graphics on the premier Mystery Mansion page.)

3 Responses to “Your Booty Now Contains the Lamp”

1. nick Says:

Get Lamp just got boinged. See Jason’s announcement about the documentary.

2. mark Says:

Hmm, I missed this post initially; might have to check it out. I’m somewhat ambivalent about BBS Documentary—it definitely has strengths and weaknesses in terms of what aspects of the very large “scene” it covers. The way it’s put together is also a bit strange, but it does serve as a useful compilation of primary sources through its interviews with sysops. And it’s not as if there is a better BBS documentary.

So at the very least this ought to be interesting. If he follows the same strategy as with BBS Documentary, I imagine there will be a wealth of primary-source-type information not currently easily available elsewhere (perhaps tracking down some of the early text-adventure authors who have long since left the “scene”).

3. www.alwaysblack.com » The History of My Adventure - by Mark Wallace Says:

[…] entures that’s apparently going into production next year. [Grand Text Auto’s link to the documentary site was what inspired this post in the firs […]