August 4, 2006

Beta-Testers Sought for Façade for Macintosh

by Andrew Stern · , 10:05 pm

Mac users that have been patiently waiting for Façade need only wait a few more days — Ryan C. Gordon, our gracious volunteer Mac porting expert (he does this for a living), that we met at IGC05, has just completed a beta build! It took a while, since he only had time to work on it in his spare time, but we hope you’ll agree it’s been worth the wait.

Or, wait even less if you’re willing to beta-test! If you have OS X 10.4.7 or higher, and can download and give prompt feedback on this beta-test version of Façade, please send email to info at interactivestory dot net by end of day Monday, August 7.

Sadly I don’t own a Mac (though I got to know OS X well when I worked at Zoesis in 2004). But I did play with the build on my friend Corwin’s laptop, and it looks and plays exactly like the original Windows version, thanks to the original choice to render in OpenGL, and Ryan’s porting skills.

10 Responses to “Beta-Testers Sought for Façade for Macintosh”

1. Ian Bogost Says:

Dude, where do we download it?!

2. andrew Says:

Dude, it’s not ready for public consumption yet, we’re doing a closed beta-test first. Email the above address to add your name to the list, and we’ll send download instructions soon.

3. Chris Says:

I am excited that this will finally be Mac-able, and wish I had some time to give to the beta testing. And I vaguely know Corwin, but lost touch with him — I hope he’s doing well! Small world.

4. marc garrett Says:

Well – what can one say other than that perhaps I should be a mediator.

When I played Facade for the 1st time a few weeks ago now, I managed to get the arguing couple in question to agree a resolution between themselves, and they also thanked me for my help and support regarding their relationship…

5. Grand Text Auto » Façade for Macintosh Now Available Says:

[…] least a 2.0GHz G4 or G5. (Or 1.0GHz dual processors, or 1.8GHz Intel Core Solo.) Several beta-testers ran into this problem. We’re also wo […]

6. Ruth Aylett Says:

I tried to install on a dual 1.25GHz G4 running OSX 10.3.9 but the ionstall crashes just after it comes up with the following error:
    dyld: /Volumes/Façade for Mac OS X/Install Façade.app/Contents/MacOS/setup.carbon can’t open library: /usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
    Aug 29 12:16:28 moria crashdump: Unable to determine CPSProcessSerNum pid: 6374 name: setup.carbon

Maybe it will only install on OSX 10.4 upwards?

7. andrew Says:

Hi Ruth!

I’m not sure why the installer is failing, but even if it were to install correctly, unfortunately that Mac is too slow to run Facade anyway. :-(

8. Fox Harrell Says:

Ruth’s 1.25 GHz *dual* processors sounds like it is above the minimum required specs.

9. andrew Says:

True! Missed that. I’ll fwd this error to Ryan and see if he recognizes the error.

10. andrew Says:

Ah, yes, it’s an installer bug that our beta testers happened to not trip over…! Thanks Ruth, we’ll release a new version of the installer soon that fixes it, I’ll email you when it’s ready.