August 11, 2006

Façade for Macintosh Now Available

by Andrew Stern · , 6:29 pm

Download Façade for Macintosh (131MB) via BitTorrent at interactivestory.net, and spread the word! First time players, please post your feedback here, thanks!

That’s the good news. The not-so-good news is we suspect some of you won’t be able to run it, as it requires at least a 2.0GHz G4 or G5. (Or 1.0GHz dual processors, or 1.8GHz Intel Core Solo.) Several beta-testers ran into this problem.

We’re also working to make it available via direct download at Download.com.

Anyone have any recommendations of what Mac sites we should contact, to get the word out?

Again, many thanks to Ryan C. Gordon who ported Façade from Windows to the Mac on his own time as a volunteer, and did a fabulous job. He does this for a living, so hire him if you’re a business looking to port your software.

9 Responses to “Façade for Macintosh Now Available”

1. noah Says:

That’s great — yay Ryan!

I’ve dropped notes to two Mac sites I read: Macintouch and MacCentral.

2. Jeremy Says:

I can confirm the 2.0GHz requirement – at 1.33GHz with 2GB memory Tripp and Grace grind to a halt after only the briefest exchange. On the other hand, you can still wander through their apartment, play with the interactive props, and then let yourself out.

Someone wrote who couldn’t even run it with a 1.8GHz G5. The 2.0GHz is a true requirement (just as the 1.6GHz Pentium 4 requirement is for Facade for Windows).

4. Mike Says:

I can post something at macmegasite. I noticed that it uses LibSDL – have you thought of porting it to GamePark Holdings’ GP2X linux-based handheld?

That doesn’t seem very plausible with two 200 MHz CPUs.

However, there is a chance Ryan will further port Façade to Linux (ie, the LibSDL stuff I guess). He says he’s already done part of it. But he’s a busy guy, I wouldn’t count on him having the time.

7. Lori Shyba Says:

Ryan and all. Nice job porting to Mac. I still revel in getting kicked out of Trip’s apartment as I have always done on PC but now I don’t have to sneak into someone else’s office to generate storyscripts with maximum conflict. Facade is a kickass stress releaserr. I’ll weave the Mac success into upcoming presentations I’m giving in London at HCI Engage. I build interactive stories too and am looking forward to keeping in touch with you guys.

Lori

8. Emiliano Says:

Game works well with a 1.83 ghz core duo with 1 gb ram.
    2 ghz is not a requirement.

I think andrew meant for a single G5. To clarify the system requirements, the Mac README file says:

Requirements:
    Mac OS X 10.3 or later; at least 10.4 recommended for performance boost.
    PowerPC: at least 2.0GHz G4/G5 processor (at least 1.0GHz if multiple CPUs).
    Intel: at least 1.8GHz Core Solo or faster
    210MB free disk space
    512MB memory or higher

This is consistent with the processor information in the original post.