August 11, 2006

Games on a Graph

“An Experimental Study of the Coloring Problem on Human Subject Networks” by Michael Kearns, Siddharth Suri, and Nick Montfort was just published in Science. The full text of the article is friendslocked to members of the AAAS, but the abstract explains the basics and a Penn press release offers some further details. The study dealt with “games” in the economic decisionmaking sense, and actually used several different graphs, although “games on six graphs” isn’t as catchy. WoW raiders and others may still wish to take note: The study is meant to shed some light on how, in general, a distributed group of players can solve a common problem together with very limited communication and information, under different incentive schemes and with different network structures.

5 Responses to “Games on a Graph”

1. Frasca Says:

Wow Nick! Science, that’s great. I’m looking forward to reading the article. Congrats again!

2. noah Says:

Yes, that’s a great venue, Nick. Congratulations!

Awesome. Nice logo too.

4. Patrick Says:

I think this article might be useful for the sort of research I’m doing, how can I become and member?

The full paper is available from a link on Michael Kearns’s page: Go to recent papers, it’s currently the top item there. From what I understand, Science allows one “free link” of this sort to be posted on the Web.