February 11, 2007

Beavers All

Photo from hacks.mit.edu Here’s a note about my academic life: I’ve recently accepted a position at MIT as assistant professor of digital media. I’m planning to move up to the Cambridge area this summer, after I finish my dissertation here at Penn, and will start teaching in the fall. I’ll be joining the MIT Program in Writing and Humanistic Studies and will be working with Comparative Media Studies and that program’s founder, Henry Jenkins. Of course, I’ll keep blogging – although I won’t possibly be able to write at the rate Henry does. I’m hoping to get a lot of great creative, teaching, and research work done at MIT; to learn a lot from my colleagues there, students and faculty; and to generally have a great time.

17 Responses to “Beavers All”

1. J Bushnell Says:

Congratulations. Cambridge is a great area, a lot of fun, and I’m sure you’ll thrive in the MIT environment.

2. Fox Harrell Says:

Great Nick! Congratulations! I know you’ll excel in your new role, it sounds like a perfect appointment considering your interests. I feel quite sympathetic to your wistful academic goals!

3. sharon Says:

Congrats! Sounds like a very good thing. I remember seeing that job description and wondering whom MIT would hire….

4. Tanner Says:

Sounds like a dream job. Congratulations.

5. noah Says:

Nick — Congratulations! I’m glad to see the news made public, and I’m looking forward to visiting you in Cambridge before too long.

6. Aaron Reed Says:

Way to go, Nick! Sounds like a great fit. It’s a beautiful campus, and a nice couple of towns to go with it, too…

Awesome, quite an achievement! It’s going to be a great time.

8. Seth Thompson Says:

Congratulations Nick. Best wishes at your new job!

9. Dennis G. Jerz Says:

Congratulations, Nick.

10. scott Says:

Nick — congrats. I’ve always thought you were a bit of a beaver.

11. Jason R. Says:

Congratulations!

12. Liz Losh Says:

Congrats to Nick! Kudos to MIT!

13. Darius K. Says:

Well, once you get up to Boston, be sure to attend a Boston Postmortem meeting!

14. William P. Wend Says:

Congrats, Nick!

15. jeremy hight Says:

congrats! awesome! sounds like a great gig and you will thrive there…..I was blown away when I was there for a panel of locative narrative……an amazing nexus……..kudos…

16. Jason Scott Says:

Congratulations from your soon-to-be new neighbor!

One person asked me what the title of this post means – it’s from an MIT fight song.