January 26, 2008

A Companion to Digital Literary Studies

by Noah Wardrip-Fruin · , 11:32 am
Cover of A Companion to Digital Literary Studies

Speaking of $200 books, I just received my copy of Blackwell’s A Companion to Digital Literary Studies, edited by Ray Siemens and Susan Schreibman. It looks great, with essays by a range of interesting people, including digital media heavy-hitters like Alan Liu, Marie-Laure Ryan, Johanna Drucker, and GTxA’s Nick Montfort. If you’re at an academic institution, make sure your library is getting a copy.

Of course, if you’re not at an academic institution, you could check the online prices and see if any are in your range. But chances are you’re in a position much like that discussed here last month — where this represents a form of anti-publication of these great essays. Luckily, I retained the copyright for my contribution (and I didn’t license it to the publisher in a way that overly-restricts what I can do) so I’ll be putting my piece up on my website soon.

Update: Blackwell’s A Companion to Digital Humanities, with two of the same editors, is available online in its entirety. This is an excellent resource — and gives me hope that A Companion to Digital Literary Studies will have a similar future.