April 2, 2008

“No Time” is the Present

by Nick Montfort · , 12:15 am

Daniel C. Howe and Aya’s Karpinska’s present to us, that is. I’m sure you think you don’t have time to look at it, but it’s worth the trip to their “No Time Machine,” which fetches statements from the Web about how people don’t have time, dropped into new dialogues. It’s a very pleasing piece in terms of how it sounds, looks, and ticks along. Among other things, it serves as a new media clock, along the lines of Speaking Clock, Sine Clock, and 12 o’clocks. I also found, among some flashes of humor, that it is deeply saddening to read. It is, after all, a true reflection of the things people say and write as they discuss missed opportunities and hopes they have decided not to attain.

The piece is a 2007 commission of New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc., (aka Ether-Ore) for its Turbulence web site. It was made possible with funding from the Jerome Foundation.

2 Responses to ““No Time” is the Present”

1. Huysmans Says:

It really gets you to think about the concept of “no time,” that in reality we are creating that very concept but are using a very real measurable variable to do it, time. It is easily possible to not have time to do something as time is a finite resource but the way in which we have applied the idea of “no time” is, more or less, independent of the limitations of time as a true resource. What I mean is just what this project suggests, that we would have the time were we compelled to use it in that way. Our potential for productivity in our own lives is all dependent on ourselves and not our environment.

Thanks for directing me to this project, I’m glad I took the time to read and watch it.

Huysmans,
    http://comparativeblogging.wordpress.com

2. Time you think you don’t have « Comparative Blogging Foundation Says:

[…] 2, 2008 · No Comments Grant Text Auto has introduced me, based on the time I had to read the post and click the link, to the No Time […]