June 8, 2008

DiCaprio to play Bushnell in the movie Atari

by Nick Montfort · , 10:01 am

As Variety and The Hollywood Reporter relate, Paramount has just reached for its wallet after hearing a pitch for the movie Atari by writers Brian Hecker and Craig Sherman. Leonardo DiCaprio’s production company Appian Way will produce the film, which is to star DiCaprio as Atari co-founder Nolan Bushnell. Gamers and others from the Internet comment on Kotaku and Digg.

Ian Bogost and I will be glad to help whip potential moviegoers into a frenzy with our book Video Computer System: The Atari 2600 Platform, which will be out by the beginning of 2009.

6 Responses to “DiCaprio to play Bushnell in the movie Atari

1. Patrick Says:

Whose going to play Chris Crawford? Bruce Willis?

Nah… Christian Slater as the young Crawford, and Christopher Walken for the later years, definitely.

3. Alex Boland Says:

haha, why is it that everyone including me immediately had that question?

Dennis Hopper. He would add some great obscenities to the rants about “the verbs”.

4. Alex Boland Says:

Not to mention, imagine Dennis Hopper doing the Dragon Speech.

5. Patrick Says:

I second Hopper.

6. Ian Bogost Says:

In proper alpha-geek /. fashion, I feel I should point out that Crawford came to Atari a full generation later, well after Bushnell had departed Atari.

That said, you are all fools for a different reason: clearly the obvious casting choice for Crawford would be John Malkovich.